Stad Kaapstad in die spervuur

Tender onreëlmatighede, dissiplinêre stappe teen senior personeellede en die sluiting van ’n forensiese ondersoek is bespreek tydens ‘n spesiale raadsvergadering van die DA beheerde Kaapse Stadsraad.

Daar is gevra dat ondersoek heropen moet word rondom korrupsie bewerings teen Melissa Whitehead, die kommissaris van stedelike beplanning.

Die DA burgemeester, Patricia de Lille en raadsbestuurder Achmat Ebrahim het na bewering die forensiese ondersoek na Whitehaed se bedrywighede “gestaak”.

Die vergadering wat geslote was het opdrag gegee dat Ebrahim, Whitehead en De Lille se uitvoerende direkteur, Craig Kesson, binne sewe dae redes moet verskaf hoekom hul nie op voorkomende skorsing geplaas moet word nie.

Foto: Patricia de Lille

Deur: Die Vryburger


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

More guns seized in ‘underworld’ firearms clampdown in Cape Town

Firearms have been seized from the owner of a Cape Town security company – the latest in a string of actions clamping down on apparent underworld activities.

The firearms were confiscated from the owner of the company, whose name is known to News24, in Bellville on Tuesday.

Bruce Hendricks, who heads up Hassan-Harmse Attorneys, confirmed on Tuesday that the owner, who he is representing, was not detained.

Hendricks declined to comment further as he said the matter formed part of an ongoing investigation.

Western Cape Hawks spokesperson Captain Lloyd Ramovha confirmed four guns were seized in an ongoing investigation and a matter relating to the non-compliance of the Firearms Control Act.

Arrests linked to security companies have played out recently.

On Monday Grant Veroni, of the company Skhosana Maponyane Hall Phillips and Khumalo, trading as The Security Group (TSG), which has twice before been the target of police and Hawks operations, appeared in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on an illegal possession of a firearm charge.

He was arrested on Saturday, for the second time in about three months, and it is understood a firearm was seized.

Veroni is expected back in the dock next week.

He and Vincent Phillips, who also works at TSG, were previously arrested in September.

At the time, the Hawks said Veroni and Phillips were arrested on charges under the Firearms Control Act.

On Monday after Veroni’s appearance, police officers searched a vehicle linked to controversial businessman Nafiz Modack outside the court.

Modack, along with four burly men, had been present at court for Veroni’s case.

Earlier this year a new grouping headed by Modack started taking control of nightclub security in Cape Town from a more established grouping.

Several violent incidents and shootings have played out since the start of the takeover.

A task team, set up by the Hawks to tackle serious threats in the Western Cape, is investigating underworld violence in nightclubs.

By: News24


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

Kaapse Klopse-karnavalvereniging kry geen befondsing vir beoogde Kaapstadse Straatparade

MISKIEN ’n bietjie déjà vu? Want hier gaan ons al weer.

Die stadsvaders van die Stad Kaapstad en die organiseerders van die Cape Minstrel Carnival stamp vir die soveelste keer koppe omdat die Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association (CTMCA) ongelukkig is nadat die Stad sy aansoek om befondsing afgekeur het.

Dit volg op verlede week se launch van die beoogde Kaapstadse Straatparade (soos die ou Tweede Nuwejaarsparade nou heet) in samewerking met die Stad op 2 Januarie 2018.

Die Kaapse Klopse-karnavalvereniging het hard saam met die Stad aan die konsep gewerk.

Al die rolspelers sê hulle wil die optog inklusiewer maak, ongeag geloof.

JP Smith, burgemeesterskomiteelid vir veiligheid, sekerheid en maatskaplike ontwikkeling, sê dit moet ’n geleentheid van wêreldklas word en genoeg corporate sponsorship trek dat die Stad nie hoef uit te haal en te wys nie.

Maar nou is die Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association ontevrede dat die Stad nie wil geld gee nie.

Volgens EWN kan dié ding nog in die hof eindig.

Kevin Momberg van die CTMCA sê dit is nie net onregverdig van die Stad om nie geld te gee nie.

“Die ander issue is dat die Stad ook nie dié groep vir straatparades oorweeg nie. Hulle het ons aansoek afgekeur,” sê Momberg.

In Augustus het die Stad beplan om net meer as R6 miljoen te belê vir die klopse se aktiwiteite in die feestyd.

Dis nie die eerste keer dat die Stad en die CTMCA kop stamp nie.

Die CTMCA het mos in 2016 sy 36 groepe onttrek aan die amptelike Tweede Nuwejaarsviering en hul eie viering toe in die Athlone-stadion gehou.

Deur: Die Son


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

Rape of resources, R5 million of abalone recovered, Brackenfell

A joint intelligence driven operation on Tuesday 31 October 2017, by members of the Hawks’ Marine group, Department of Agriculture Forest and Fisheries (DAFF) and Dog unit resulted in the arrest of two suspects aged 39 and 42 for running an illegal abalone processing facility.

The team followed up on information about a suspicious vehicle allegedly transporting abalone near Brackenfell.

The pursuit led them to an address along River Road, where an abalone processing facility was discovered, resulting in the arrest of the pair, and the subsequent seizure of over 40 000 units of abalone, weighing about 2233.5kg, which comprised of wet, dried and cooked units valued at just over R 5-million.

The pair is expected appear before the Kuilsriver Magistrate’s Court on 2 November 2017, to face charges related to dealing in abalone.

South Africa today – South Africa News


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

UCT, CPUT students to descend on Parliament over Fees Commission report

University of Cape Town (UCT) and Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) students are set to march to Parliament on Wednesday to demand that President Jacob Zuma release the Fees Commission report.

This comes as Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba delivers his medium-term budget statement to the legislature.

– Mini Budget site

Zuma received the Fees Commission report in August and has been “studying the report” ever since.

Students are expected to assemble at the CPUT Cape Town campus at 11:00 before marching to Parliament, about 1km away.

Western Cape police told News24 that they were ready to “maintain law and order” during the unapproved protest action.

“Adequate numbers of resources have been deployed to police any occurrence which may arise,” Western Cape police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Andrè Traut said on Wednesday morning.

By: News24


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

Kaap ontsoutingsproses verloop nie vlot

Kaapstad sal hul eerste ontsoutingsaanleg gereed hê net voordat damme in die stad gaan opdroog.

Dit aldus Xanthea Limberg van die stad se burgemeesterskomitee rakende water en energie sake.

Verbruikers sal egter moet saamleef daarmee dat water nie meer ‘n goedkoop kommoditeit gaan wees nie.

Die skielike bekendmaking dat die ontsoutingsaanleg binnekort gereed gaan wees, volg op berigte dat kontrakteurs wat getender het, onttrek het van die proses nadat die stadsraad, onder leiding van Patricia de Lille van die DA, gesloer het met die proses en nuwe tenders wou aanvra.

Kontrakteurs sê hulle het baie moeite gedoen met die tenders en dat dit hulle baie gekos het, en nou word doelpale verskuif en tydsraamwerke eensydig en onrealisties aangepas.

Hulle sê dat die vertragings wat nou voorgekom het, daartoe gaan lei dat geen aanleg teen April volgende jaar in produksie sal kan wees nie. Teen daardie tyd is die damme reeds dolleeg, mits dit voor die tyd reën.

Deur: Die Vryburger


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

Kaapstad wil Metrorail-treinstelsel oorneem

Kaapstad wil die bestuur van die Metrorail-treinstelsel in die stad oorneem uit vrees dat die hele openbare vervoerstelsel, wat grootliks op treindienste staatmaak, in duie kan stort.

Brett Herron, burgemeesterskomiteelid vir vervoer en stedelike ontwikkeling, het op ’n mediakonferensie gesê al hoe minder pendelaars gebruik die treindienste omdat treine laat is, mense onveilig is en ten minste een uit elke tien treine per dag gekanselleer word.

Volgens Herron kan die stadsraad nie sit en wag dat die nasionale regering ingryp nie, “want die treinstelsel is ’n haarbreedte weg van ’n totale ineenstorting”.

Hy sê Kaapstad sal nie kan voortbestaan sonder ’n ten volle funksionele en doeltreffende treinstelsel nie.

’n Verslag oor die risiko vir Kaapstad as die stad die treinstelsel oorneem, sal volgende week voor die burgemeesterskomitee dien vir ’n besluit. Die besluit sal dan op 26 Oktober na die volle raadsvergadering gaan vir verdere goedkeuring.

Deur: Netwerk 24


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

Philippi Community Threatens To Take Matter Into Own Hands After Fatal Shooting

This follows the fatal shooting in the Marikana informal settlement in Philippi East last week in which 11 people were killed.

Some Philippi and Nyanga community members say they will take matters into their own hands to fight crime.

This follows the fatal shooting in the Marikana informal settlement in Philippi East last night in which 11 people were killed.

The area has been placed under lockdown with the South African Police Services Tactical Response Unit and National Investigative Unit combing the area.

The Philippi East police station is packed with angry community members.

They are attempting to shut down the station until the police commissioner or anyone with higher authority addresses them.

One Nyanga resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, says community members’ pleas for better policing have fallen on deaf ears.

“We’re full of fear as a community, so this action that we take after three memorandums that we sent to this police station. Now we’re saying we’re tired.”

Parliament’s police portfolio committee has issued a statement calling for urgent action from Police minister Fikile Mbalula following the attacks.

Mbalula has, in turn, issued a statement calling on the community to work with police in tracking down the perpetrators.

By: EWN


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

KAAPSE DA HET GROOT PROBLEME – RAADSLID BRYNARD DRAAI HAAR RUG OP PARTY

Raadslid Carin Brynard van die DA in Kaapstad het haar rug op dié party gedraai en in die middel van haar derde termyn as Raadslid bedank. Brynard sê sy is moeg vir die nepotisme en diktatoriale manier van Patricia de Lille en die toksiese atmosfeer in die koukus. Bowenal sê sy dat sy as Christen haarself nie langer kan vereenselwig met die Demokratiese Alliansie nie.

Volgens Brynard is dit redelik algemeen dat De Lille se ou handlangers uit die dae van haar eie party, die Onafhanklike Demokrate, voorkeur kry in die bes betaalde posisies en dat DA Raadslede geforseer word om die burgemeester se wil te aanvaar. Sy noem die voorbeeld van Shaun August wat tans die DA se Hoofsweep in die Metroraad is, maar ook ‘n ou ID-man was. “Hulle (DA Raadslede) het geen seggenskap meer nie,” was Brynard se woorde.

Sy noem verder die insident in 2016 waar raadslede “opdrag” gekry het om te stem vir Clive Justus as voorsitter in die plek van die bekwame Grant Twigg. Twigg was ‘n DA lid nog voor De Lille en dié twee sit nie langs een vuur nie omdat Twigg homself gereeld uitspreek wanneer hy nie met De Lille saamstem nie. Vyf Raadslede wat nie die opdrag gehoorsaam het nie en wel vir Twigg gestem het is geskors en Justus het uiteindelik die posisie ingeneem.
Front Nasionaal het vroeg vanjaar al gewys op die feit dat De Lille in die samestelling van haar nuwe burgemeesterkomitee nie ‘n enkele blanke persoon oorweeg het nie.

Ons haal die hoed af vir Raadslid Brynard wat haar beginsels bo politieke gewin gestel het en die kiesers daarop wys dat die D.A. beslis nie meer ‘n opsie is nie – trouens, die beweringe teen De Lille klink maar dieselfde as waarmee die ANC se soustreinryers besig is.

Deur:Daniel Lötter/Front Nasionaal SA


Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 
 

Cape Town’s Special Investigation Unit shut down

The City of Cape Town’s Special Investigation Unit‚ which worked with police and international law enforcement agencies such as the FBI‚ has been shut down.

The unit had a wide mandate and‚ before it’s mandate was changed along with it’s name in August‚ it was tasked with assisting the Hawks and the FBI in obtaining information on the night club shootings in Cape Town.

The unit also ran investigations into council members and City staff suspected of corruption or other crimes but under it’s new mandate the “Internal Investigations Unit” may only investigate such allegations against staff in the City’s Safety and Security directorate which includes Metro Police and Law Enforcement.

Cape Town mayor Patricia De Lille’s spokesperson Zara Nicholson said only the speaker of council‚ Dirk Smit‚ may investigate “alleged misconduct” by councillors.

The unit was busy investigating the murder of DA ward councillor Xolile Gwangxu who was shot in the head at point blank range after a community meeting in Philippi East in June.

It was also investigating a councillor for housing fraud as well as poo thrower and Ses’khona People’s Movement leader Andile Lili for incitement to commit murder‚ assault‚ and intimidation.

Asked why the unit’s mandate was changed Nicholson said: “The mandate for the investigation and detection of crime rests with the SAPS in terms of the SAPS Act”.

The unit assisted SAPS with hundreds of watching briefs in cases involving drugs‚ drunk driving‚ and firearms possession cases.

Western Cape SAPS spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Andrè Traut said‚ “as a law enforcement agency the City does a lot and we are very thankful”.

“We work hand-in-hand with all law enforcement agencies who can help us bring down crime in this province‚” said Traut.

Nicholson said the unit’s work‚ “has been and still is of great assistance in resolving internal matters where referred to them”.

Neither the unit’s leadership nor its staff have been changed‚ according to Nicholson.

Some of the other things the Special Investigation Unit was also tasked with investigating included gang violence‚ taxi violence‚ veld and mountain fires‚ land invasions‚ the burning of trains‚ and xenophobia.

Asked whether the new unit may still investigate gang-related activity and organised crime Nicholson said it may “assist with such activities in Councils Rental Stock” and can also assist with operations conducted by the City’s Gang and Drugs Task Team.

By: Times Live


Enjoyed this post? Share it!